Amish boys enjoying riding horses
Pulled up to the sight of buggies lined up all over!
The amish making our breakfast... check out the homemade doughnuts in the front!
They were all so cute with their little hats!
Levi and his two chicks that he bid on!
The boys enjoying our two chairs we bid on and got!
Hoping to make some profit off of our bottles... we have two more boxes just like this!My niece (my husband's nephew's wife... wow, that makes me sound old) had been telling me about the amish auction that is in our area once a year. We decided to give it a try and see what it was all about. We arrived around 8am to the sights of many black buggies lined up and the smells of wonderful food. First stop, FOOD.... homemade breakfast... homemade doughnuts, breads, scrambled eggs, hashbrowns.... GET IN LINE!!!! After a yummy breakfast and sneaking a few pictures (the amish do not allow their pictures to be made), we made our way to the auction. I was amazed... everything and anything you could imagine! I was a little scared to bid at first... not quite sure of the whole bidding thing and was afraid I would end up paying $100 for something I thought was $1. After a while of watching, I caught on... a little to much from the words of my husband. We ended up with 3 boxes of old soda bottles for $1, 1 box of old picture frames with a duffle bag in the bottom of the box for $1, 2 adirondack chairs for $35 (my big spenditure), 12 roma tomato plants for $2, a daisy BB gun for $5, roller blades for $2, a couple of doors (more on that below) and much baked goods... sourdough bread, oatmeal sandwich cookies and fresh eggs. Levi and Guy had a great day watching all the festivities... Guy sneaking pics here and there, and Levi scoping out all the chickens for sale... he even made me bid on two baby chicks for him but we were out bid... thank the Lord! It was a peaceful day even amidst all the chaos... watching barefoot little children, dressed in their amish attire, run freely around, staring and studying all of us commoners I think they call us. We tasted yummy homemade ice cream, fried chicken, homemade potato chips and cheeseburgers. We left feeling fat from food and weighed down by all the items we packed in our van!
My favorite word rememberances from the day:
1. Guy says, "Mom, don't yell for Levi here, half the boys will turn around and see what you need." Levi is a very common amish name.
2. Tim says, "Why in the world did you buy those two french doors?". My reply, "They were only $17 for the pair and I thought we could use them in the barn." Tim says, "Not, 8 foot tall and very narrow doors. Can't you find the person you were bidding against?". My reply, "I think his name was Levi!"
I'm so excited about the glass bottles, I can't wait to pick out a few when I visit. I'm still mad that someone outbid Levi on those chickens, but I'm happy because I know you'd serve them for dinner to me just to freak me out. I am a little shocked to see that the Amish shop at Sam's Club - I'd recognize those big boxes of tortilla chips anywhere!
ReplyDeleteMy sister... you are halarious.... you are soooo right about the chicken.... talk about chicken tenders! Love you!
ReplyDelete