Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Watching them learn and learning too!

Sometimes you see them hanging by a thread, and you hope you will always be there to catch them... we will not be, so we must teach them how to fall... into HIS arms of grace!


Some lessons fall down like rain,

and we wish we had an umbrella!





He found an almost perfect arrowhead in the backyard. His friend Jacob was standing by and immediately yelled, "Can I have it Guy, can I have it?!!!". Guy is an avid rock collector... or basically a collector of anything little or unique. He has some arrowheads, but this one was amazing. It was complete except for a little corner was missing... surprisingly he found the little corner lying close by. Tim was at the barn watching the whole scenerio unfold and recommended to Guy to give it to Jacob... "It would be a nice keepsake for him to have from our home." Jacob has lived next door for almost four years and his family was moving to Colorado in just a few weeks. Guy did not want to give up this treasure. He voiced his reluctance to me as he came in the house toting his find. "Mom, dad says I should give this to Jacob but I really want to keep it... I found it!" I felt just to keep quiet and let his spirit figure this situation out. He was torn... Jacob came in the house reminding Guy of his dad's words, "Guy, your dad said I could have that arrowhead... you need to just give it to me!" Ok... so Jacob was demanding and it is not fun to give someone something who is demanding it... especially something you don't want to giveaway in the first place. Guy made a choice, "Jacob, I am going to keep it!" The voices of two young men went back and forth.... one demanding to give... one demanding to keep. Friends... arguing over a weapon used from long ago... a weapon that was now cutting a friendship apart. We watched and listened in silence. Jacob left, Guy still held the pieced together find in his hands. "Was it worth it?" we asked. "Was it worth seeing a friend go out the door with sadden heart and maddening spirit?" "Do you feel good about your choice, and does what you are holding still seem like a treasure or did the real treasure just leave?" His head hung low... he did not feel good... he was wrestling with flesh and spirit and was feeling worn. Flesh says, "Keep it... you found it... you deserve it!". Spirit says, "It is more blessed to give than to receive... God loveth a cheerful GIVER... a friendship is worth so much more than an arrowhead." We talked... we became quiet... we listened for his heart to receive. He placed his learning tool in a box, went next door and gave a gift to a friend. Some things we find aren't always ours to keep... they are just God given treasures to put in someone elses hands... God may sometimes give to us to allow us to understand the true joy of being flowed thru... being unselfish. Lord, help me to understand that every good and perfect gift comes from above and before I take and open it... I need to read the name on the card.

No comments:

Post a Comment